Friday, June 25, 2010


I am at the sister's in Napier for a few days. have been trying out her camera do see how it goes photographing embroidery. Here is the results.

 This is my "Pocket for the Snow Queen" and here is a closer view. I have used tiny Ribbon Roses on this one sequins, pearls and bead along with feathers.
and finally here is what the camera really can do,

This one really tells me I need a new camera!

Do tell me which of the three pockets you  like Best

Monday, June 21, 2010


Here it is my " Pocket for a Mermaid"

And yes its a strong blue ! possibly a little darker in the real thing. The dye packet said sea blue and showed almost aqua in the picture. The linen is 40 count Permin and I found it very hard work doing the count thread stitches on it. The rest was sheer fun.

Here is a closer view, can you find the tiny sea horse charm, it came in an exchange packet from America last year and is just perfect for this piece.  And the little mermaid was an extra one made quite some time ago when I made some for the goodies bags at one of Caitlin's Birthday parties.

Saturday, June 19, 2010


ANZEG Conference ( Association New Zealand Embroiderers' Guilds) is now only three weeks away. This week I have been writing the notes for the two workshops I am teaching there....... along with stitching a couple of extra pieces. Anyone who would like to see the variety of workshops that will be at the conference  go to -   click on any of the tutors and more details will come up along with a photo of what they are teaching.
I enjoy writing the notes for workshops and  find  its amazing what the computor can produce but the best bit is the designing.
This is the piece for the one day workshop I have on the Monday..... "Pocket for Titania."

I have completed two further pockets to show that the basic idea could be taken further and one does not have to stitch bullion stitches rose!.
"Pocket for a Mermaid" is on blue linen that I dyed. Did not come out quite the colour I expected but I am pleased with the finished result. I hope to be able to post photo of it soon.
Today I finished one for the " Snow Queen" white, silver and a tiny touches of blues. My mind is full of ideas now but I must move on to other things.
 My second workshop is a three day one " Shades of Monet" a count thread mat using Jane Van Keulin's lovely linen and threads dyed to match.  You can see it on the Confernce web site.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010


10 th June was the first anniversary of my starting my blog, a big thank you to all my friends (followers) for the interest you have shown in my blog.
 I thought it would be great to have "a give away" to celebrate the event.
But at the moment time does not permit me to do a box of goodies. So instead of this big box I have decided to sent something small to the two people who have been there constantly for me, and left the most comments, giving me lots of encouragement and support.
 Thank you Carol of "Stitching Dreams" and Chris from "Notes from a Sommerset Garden" will you both please send me your postal address.
And there will be a third small parcel for someone who leaves a comment on my blog this month, that is anyone who leaves a comment anytime from June 1 till July 9th (when I go off to Conference) will go in the draw for this parcel.
NZ Embroiderers Guilds Confernce starts 9th July and at present I am writing the notes for the two workshops I am teaching. I will show these pieces later.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010


Its a wonderful crisp sunny winter's day here. lovely after all the heavy rain and strong winds of the past few days. Paul came in to say the mountain  (Mt Egmont) had a good coating of snow and suggested I grabbed the camera and we would go for a drive.
Here are a few of the photos I took. this first one was taken about 8 min drive from our house.
a little further along the road.

and lastly this one was taken beside  Mountain House which is at 845 metres and 10 km from Stratford.
(Mt Egmont is 2518 metres high)

Sunday, June 6, 2010


Brides Tree SAL for • June:  is to be Fruit or Fruit Basket -  representing generosity, plenty.
I have chosen to stitch a wreath of berries. This is a Danish Chart from Eva Rosenstand, one I have had for many years and one I enjoy stitching. Again I have stitched on 40 count permin using 1 strand of DMC worked over 2 threads.
We are off to Napier later in the month and I will need to visit my favourite Embroidery Shop "Heirlooms" and stock up on the fine linens as I am nearly out.  O how I wish for a bigger stash.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010


I posted off fron NZ the latest exchange items on Friday 28th May and have just learnt they arrived in Holland yesterday 1st June.
Gee that was quick, what a change from agonising for weeks waiting to hear that a parcel had arrived.
The exchange was for a stitchers toy with at least 25 french knots. I made the scissor fob first and it was fun to make. Planned to do a needlebook to match, but  decided on the pincushion when I had learnt who my exchange partner was as I had sent Liz a needlebook last year ( see post for 6th December.).  The pin cushion has a hard base and four covered beads for feet that do not show in the photo. Last month I received a lovely blackwork pinkeep and fob from Liz which I hope to add the photos soon..

Here is how to stitch the scissor fob.