Wednesday, April 27, 2016

EDGING A FOB.


Kim asked how do I use part of a zipper to edge my fob shown back on some of my previous my posts........ I found many different ways on the Internet but this is the method I am using, so Kim here are some photos that might explain

First I run a tacking stitch along the fabric close to the zip teeth, this will ease the fabric later making it lie neater on the inside, I cut most of the fabric off, I have seen one example on the internet where they cut right back against the teeth... I think having a small amount of fabric makes it easier to handle.

I have a circle of felt to which I stitch the zipper, a course zipper is easier to stitch on and I stitch between each of the teeth where the two ends meet is the ideal place to add the cord hanger. My cross stitch design has been mounted ready on a small circle of cardboard, Stitching this onto the felt, I can place it in the centre or to one side if I prefer.


Back with a slightly smaller circle of cardboard  so it sits inside the zipper then sew a circle of felt on the back
This one was edged with a finer zip and I found it hard to see where I had stitched, I did not stitch between all the zipper teeth just spaced my stitches evenly.

Hope this is of use to some one ... have fun.



7 comments:

Maggie said...

Oh that's lovely! what a great idea :-)

Annie said...

Very clever! Really works well on something as small as a fob!

Madtatter80 said...

Wow Lee that is a great tip and your items always look so professional and wonderful to see I have been wanting to do this Zipper art for a while it is on my to do list :)

Annette-California said...

Oh that's how its done! LOL! Thank you sooooo much for explaining and sharing! FANTASTIC! Will give it a go! LOVE everything you create!
love Annette

CalamityJr said...

This is fascinating! Thanks for sharing.

Cindy's Stitching said...

The are so pretty Lee

KimM said...

Hi, Lee! Catching up on reading my blog lists - thank you for the tutorial. I can hardly wait to try it!
xxx