Saturday, July 2, 2011

MY THREAD (FLOSS) TAG


Annie asked how I constructed my fobs I am happy to share and hoope this is of use to someone.

When I stitched the thread tag above, I was presented with a problem in that I had stitched my design using a lovely Sampler thread called Briar Rose, and I could not match it to make a cord , I did however have some silk fabric that was a perfect match. I have mounted it so that the silk shows round the edge, and am pleased with the result.

To make a Thread tag this way you need two pieces of cardboard, first cut one piece of card on which to mount your embroidered piece. Mount this first, using the thin wadding behind the stitching.

  The second piece of card is now cut slightly bigger, and covered with your backing fabric.  mitre the corners, remembering these will be on the front. (Do not pad this piece) 

       

Fold and stitch a small strip of fabric for the loop… ribbon may be used, glue this in place. Now glue your mounted embroidered piece on the front.

                  
Look back at my last posting and take a closer look at the thread tag that Joan sent me.
She used a neat way of making sure she mounted everything straight, by backstitching in a contrasting colour where she wanted to fold in, and leaving it there as part of the design.  Here is the back view of her tag which has a special touch with a border enclosing her message.


Today the mountain looks just like  the photo at the top of my blog.... a good day for sitting by the fire and stitching.

6 comments:

Kathy said...

Love your floss tag. Thank you so much for sharing how you put it together. I'll be trying it soon.

Teresa said...

WOW learned something new today.
Thank you so much. Your tag is just wonderful.
Teresa's Heartfelt Stitches

Nancy said...

Thanks so much for the finishing lesson! The tag is beautiful!

Annie said...

Thanks, Lee. All glue and no sew (except maybe for the loop) makes for a quick finish. Now if I can just learn to do mitered corners as nice as yours!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lee most helpful :)

Rita E in AZ said...

Thank you for the instructions for your tag. Your finish is so pretty.
Rita E in AZ