Monday, April 5, 2010

THE FIRST PIECE

The first piece for Jan's collection for her needlework basket was delivered at the weekend. I stitch a Pin Whimsey ( Pinkeep) using a design based on one of the flower patterns that I know she had stitch on her Punto Antico Mat. The thread used was 'Lola' in a mauve shade and it matches the fabric she had used round the top edge of the basket and I backed it with her green fabric.

 Do you call them Pin Whimseys or Pinkeeps?
Possibly the name Pin Whimsey dates back to Victorian times when these small keepers for pins came in many different shapes. The oldest one I have was my grandmother's,  shaped like a slipper it is beautfully made of purple silk over thin card and gold satin for the with the tiniest stitches round the sole and neat herringbone stiches on the side. The tassel on the top is made of silk thread  and it still has a few pins pushed into the sole.
Where Pin cushions were useful in the home, these small flat holders were  devised to carry pins in sewing bags or pockets with the points safely sheathed.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Beautiful work. Love that sweet little slipper. This is the first I've heard of the term 'Pin Whimsey'. 'Pinkeep' seems to be the trendiest term I see on all the blogs.